19.1.10

Hidden Agenda Chicken Nuggets

Shared with We Are That Family's Works for Me Wednesday carnival.

I keep hearing about all these books like Deceptively Delicious and The Sneaky Chef

Friends tell me I have to read them as I'll find so much in there I can use. Problem is I'm not that into spending money lately, even on books, and I haven't had a chance to make it to the adult floor of the library in a looooooong time. (Why do libraries have children's fiction and non-fiction in one part and then adult fiction and non-fiction all-the-timbucktoo-way across the floor or even upstairs? I've asked my management librarian husband and even he doesn't know. As a parent I could tell them, put children's fiction and adult fiction together and then children's non-fiction and adult non-fiction together. That's if you MUST seperate them so much.)

My son - the one who had tabouleh, hummus, and spaghetti squash for his first birthday meal; the one whose favourite meal was once curried veggies with brown rice and ham; yes that one - decided at the age of three that vegetables were persona non-grata in his mouth - even if they were vegetables au-gratin they were still non-grata (forgive the pun).

For the past two years, I have been begging, pleading, and creatively sneaking the vegetables past his teeth.

I have a feeling that these books won't work for me, though. I've heard lots about a chicken nugget recipe that involves wrapping the chicken in spinach.

Un-hunh, if my son sees green he sees red and refuses to eat. So that just wouldn't work. And knowing how sneaky I am he does check his food.

One day I'll try some of the recipes from these books. But the chicken nugget idea sounded like something I should try as chicken nuggets are one of the few foods my son eats without argument.

So this is my version of chicken nuggets. If you read yesterday's post you know that I'm not that into recipes. Here's the general idea.

Hidden Agenda Chicken Nuggets

Ingedients:

Nuggets
2 medium chicken breasts
3-4 large carrots
1 small potato
1/2 small yellow zuchinni
1/2 small eggplant
1 small onion
(the vegetables and their combination is negotiable - just don't put anything too colorful in there)

Breading
stale bread or crusts and/or cornflakes and/or rice krispies and/or pretzels and/or cheerios
a small handful of flax seeds or other seed or nut (adds extra crisp and nutrition)
parmesan cheese - approximately 2 Tbsp
seasonings (garlic, oregano, pepper, etc)

Dice all nugget ingredients and boil together in a scant pot of water

Meanwhile place breading ingredients in blender and pulse until fine crumbs.

Preheat oven to 350.

Drain nugget ingredients, retaining liquid. Place all ingredeints in blender with small amount of water. Add two eggs. Blend until chicken is well ground and you can no longer tell there are vegetables.

You may need to add more liquid or some ground oats or flour as a solid to make the nugget mix the appropriate rolling texture (you're looking for something slightly drier than meatballs - it should stick together easily but not be too moist). Add whatever is needed in very small amounts as it is easy to overdo it.

Scoop out a large teaspoonful of nugget mix and drop in breading; squish a little to give the nugget shape and roll thoroughly. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes, turn and bake another 8-10 minutes, until breading looks browned and crispy (this is why I precook the chicken so I don't really need to worry about the baking time).


Serve to your kids with a side of rice, noodles, wok fries, or oven fries and their favourite dipping sauce. Warn them it isn't exactly like McDonalds but that it's good!


Enjoy the sight of your child eating vegetables with relish. It's up to you whether or not you tell.

I always do in the hopes that it will inspire some unhidden veggie eating!
You should get about 30-40 nuggets from this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I am so not an adventurous cook! Thank God my kids like vegetables... if I had to be as creative as you my kids would not be getting their veggies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as I was preparing dinner...my children love to eat fruit and vegetables
    and they prefer them raw...I am spoiled in the meal prep department. I do own the book deceptively delicious which is similar to the cooking that you do. Although, I think that your recipes are healthier. I do make the quick and easy recipes from the book because I do like maximizing the health benefits of the food they eat...I have liked the recipes that you have posted.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to add? Let us know: