3.2.10

The Search for a Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie - Part 2

My husband declared these "adorably edible" and the kids say they're "simply the best." My son's classmates loved them too! I think I may have perfected the low sugar, low fat chocolate chip cookie!

Darn it I forgot to take photos again! Will update as soon as I make them again.

Ingredients:
16 dates
½ small zuchinni peeled
3 tbsp marg
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup white flour
¾ cup whole wheat
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 cups oats
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350

First puree the dates and zuchinni. No need to cook them first. Then cream together with the margarine and sugars (I think you could eliminate the white sugar and just use the 1/4 cup brown, but try it this way the first time). Whip in the eggs and vanilla.

Now I know you're supposed to mix your dry ingredients seperately, but I just whip them right in there and it always turns out fine. Add your flours and baking soda and salt and mix at a low speed. Don't overmix or they won't rise. If you want to be correct about it, whisk your flours, baking soda and salt in a seperate bowl and add gradually to the creamed mixture.

Using a stiff spoon stir in the oats and chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonful onto a lightly greased or parchment lined tray. Bake for approx 13 minutes (this was perfect for me, but ovens vary, they'll rise a little, spread a little and the bottoms will become quite golden). Let cool on tray for 5 minutes than remove to wire to cool.

This makes a crispy on the outside chewy on the inside cookie. If you prefer an entirely chewy cookie, don't let them cool on the tray first or add a little juice to the mix. If you prefer a good crispy cookie, press the dough down before baking and increase temp to 375.

I personally like this version and they're practically guilt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Let us know: