2.3.10

What Will I be When I Grow Up? A Conversation with My Kids.

Been putting a little thought lately into getting something a little more useful job-wise than my English degree. You know, one of those degrees (or heck a diploma) that leads to real stable employment. But I've been enjoying being at home too and would love something that would let me make an earning from home. I've thought of doing psychology and setting myself up witha home-based counselling business.

Anyway, I thought I'd get a little input from the kids. After all, a 5 and a 3 year old always have the answers to everything. The 18 month old had very little to say on the subject.

Me: What's your favourite color?
H: Ummmm
T: Don't pick mine Harrison!
Me: You're allowed to have the same favourite, you know.
H: Blue!
T: Pink and purple of course Mommy. You know that.

Me: What's your favourite book?
H: Oh I know, I'll go get it!
Me: Can you just tell it to me for now.
H: Okay, it's um . . . . Transformers!
Me: You never ask us to read your Transformers book. What about all the books you ask for every day?
H: I like them too, but my most favourite is Transformers. Even though I don't tell you to read it, it's still my favourite.
T: I like princesses and ballerinas. And umm..... what else Mommy? Oh yeah, and more princesses.
Me: But what books do you like?
T: The princess and ballerina books.
(note to self: must buy or borrow some more ballerina books as I don't think we actually have any!)

Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
H: Rockstar! (said with a little air guitar riff)
T: Ballerina (said with her arms placed into third position)

Me: What do you need to do to become a rockstar?
H: Get an electric guitar. Get rock star clothes, rock star shoes, what else . . . rock star friends. That's all. Oh yeah! And one more thing: a big giant stage. And one more thing: some chairs for people to sit on.
T: And an audience! Don't forget to write audience Mommy.
(Apparently he has an "if you build it they will come" philosophy of talent, his sister is much more practical)

Me: And what do you need to become a ballerina?
T: Have ballerina clothes and ballerina tights and ballerina shoes and a ballerina jewel on your dress and a crown and ballerina hair.
Me: Is there anything else to become a ballerina?
H: What about dance?
T: Oh yeah, dancing!

Me: And what will Mommy be when she grows up?
H: I don't know. What do you want to be?
T: A Mommy! My best mommy bubby. Do you like being a mommy? You wouldn't want to be a mummy, though would you? Cause mummies are monsters. So you should be a mommy. I like you being a mommy because I like you being yourself. Do you like who you are mommy?
H: You are grown up! You're our mommy. Do you want to be a rockstar instead?

Me: Nope. I love being a mommy. I love who I am right now!

How could you not after all? Especially if the other choices are to be a mummy monster or a rockstar? Meanwhile, really must get some ballerina books, throw that blasted Transformers book in the garbage and enroll these kids in some music and dance classes, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. you could be a monster mummy rockstar...not sure there's much money in it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know I am nurse but am often a monster as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I was informed today by H that I'm the meanest thing he's ever seen. So I guess that does make me a monster. And while I can't hold a tune to save my life, I have been teaching him some earth sciences and geology lately - does that make me a rockstar?

    H. remembers when I was working and we've talked about how important my work was in helping families practice literacy habits and children learn to read, but I guess he figures I didn't really grow up until I became a Mommy.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to add? Let us know: