3.5.10

Dara's Got (No) Talent

Sadly, yes, I am still playing with my blog layout and colours. But that's okay because you love it, right?

I have always been the type of person that's really good at envisioning something artistic but completely and utterly lacks the talent to do anything with it. The only "art" I've ever been good at is sculpting. Perhaps because it allows me to work in three dimensions.

Crafts galore - give me some paper mache or a glue gun and I can create masterpieces. But give me paper and a crayon and I'll end up drawing a sun, a green hill, a blurry tree, and some flowers.

I've tried drawing from the right side of the brain (or is the the left) and I can't do that either. My perspective is screwy.

I'm the same with music. I hear wonders in my head. Sometimes I can even sing a beautiful and haunting melody for some song I've invented for the children. But ask me to pick out a tune on a piano and I'll always revert to Ode to Joy.

I think that's why I like writing. No translation needed, really. What I picture and hear in my head can be instantly converted using words.

Perhaps if I had immersed myself in painting classes and art gallery trips as a child instead of Enid Blyton, LM Montgomery, Roald Dahl and CS Lewis I'd be a better artist. Perhaps instead of learning the vocabularly and nuance of language I would have learned the technique and art of drawing. But if wishes were fishes and all that . . .

So, there it is. Blame Enid Blyton for being so interesting I couldn't pull myself away from Five Go To Mystery Moor long enough to attend art classes. That is precisely why my blog will never be a beauty and a wonder.

As long as it doesn't make you want to puke, I'm happy.

And please note, I am trying to fix this darn comment system. I think I'm done playing with the look for now - if I could just get that black side border off the header I'd be happy (ps: if you want to view my code and tell me where I went wrong playing with it, please do). But in the meanwhile, if you've something nice to say you can always email me at darasquires at gmail.com or catch me on Twitter.

13 comments:

  1. Yay! Blogger comments are working! Now to try for Disqus again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. View your code? Why, I couldn't possibly... married man, y'know and all that! But I do like the look, and I can so recommend DISQUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are incredibly talented. Writing is an art, you know. And you are the best. EVER!

    PS Just got back in town from a weekend trip, so I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I'm still sorting out dirty underwear from clean and such. So please forgive me for being out of the loop for a few days!!! I'll be back in blog/commenting/stalking action again real soon just as soon as I get through this psychotic underwear pile. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. PPS I am loving the new LOOK by the way!!! THe color is spectacular and it all looks really pretty and awesome and sparkly clean. I love clean. AND I just saw your post where you threw me out the sweetest shouts in the whole wide world. Thank you so much. You know I adore you, my darling twin. I'm gonna check out the other blogs you mentinoed too, cuz if you like them, you know they they must be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PPPS Sorry for all the typos in the comment above. It's this demented tiger thong of my husband's. It's attacking me as we speak. HELP! (Just kidding. My husband WOULD DIE if he knew I outed him on the tiger thong.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and one more thing. (Now you are really going to think I'm crazy for leaving you like 15 comments on a single post, right? Please don't excommunicate me. I just can't figure out how to leave comments on any other posts right now. The comment thingy isn't showing up. But it may just be me. I'm not exactly what you'd call technologically saavy. Anyway, I just read your I See Dead People Post. If I wasn't already madly in love with you (which I am) I definitely would be now. Surviving a Man of War attack? A shy appendix? Two left feet? A propnesity for nakedness? Psychic abilities? Can I kiss you now? You are my hero. Mwuah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel! I have wonderful ideas but trying to get it to look like it does in my head just doesn't ever happen!
    Lovely new look though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tim, well you know I just want you to look. I play with it myself.
    I had Disqus but can't seem to get it to work with the new layout whether using manual or automatic patch. Will attempt again tonight.
    @Naomi, If I'm going to have a stalker, I'm glad it's you. Now go deal with the underwear and make sure to keep the tiger thong away from the zebra print bustier
    @Liv and IM: Thanks! Still working on it a bit but it looks much more fresh, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the new look.

    Question, why can't I comment with my blogger id? I don't care to use any of the other choices and I've actually tried to comment before but gave up because it was difficult

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jacqueline!
    As for commenting with blogger ID, unfortunately Disqus doesn't allow it. However it's a great comment system and when it works, it works wonderfully.
    If you just plus in your name, email address, and website and then click post as guest it will still post with a link back to your website like Blogger does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too used to read Enid Blyton's books as a child. Maybe, we can blame Enid Blyton for being such a destructive charismatic force that would distract us from hobbies such as painting. However, many of us were very much inspired by her writings that at one time, I for one tried to publish a novel, but with no luck. However, in memory and affection for Enid Blyton and her books, I decided to write and publish a book on her, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.bbotw.com).
    Stephen Isabirye

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am exactly the same - i see great things in my head, but I can't translate them to paper/canvas etc! Its a curse!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to add? Let us know: