A very wise woman once told me that to clean your house you need nothing more than regular vinegar and baking soda. She then added that for that extra germ-killing boost, a dash of vodka was good: one for the kitchen counter and one for you.
It's so true, though. Okay you do need soap for dishes and laundry and as soon as I perfect my laundry and dish soap recipe I'll share.
But you might wonder why you should ditch the chemical cleaners for the more natural approach. So here are my top 10 reasons:
10. Money: Vinegar and Baking Soda are much cheaper than Sani-Foam and Mr. Clean
9. Convenience: If you run out you can just mix up more.
7. Your Appearance: Vinegar actually softens skin and has been reported to reduce wrinkles. Plunging your hands into Mr. Clean does not have the same effect.
6. Your House's Appearance: Even baking soda will not usually scratch finished surfaces, commercial cleansers often will.
5. Reduce Chemical Impact: Those chemical's going down your drain can kill baby fishies. Think of the baby fishies!
4. Reduce Packaging: One large container of vinegar and big box of baking soda means a lot less packaging and processing than 10 different chemical cleansers.
2. Bragging Rights: Come on, you know you're going to let it slip at playgroup that you're one of those enlightened, environmentally friendly moms saving the planet for future generations and keep a clean and chemical free house. You know you will. Heck, you might even blog about it.
And the number one reason to use vinegar instead of Mr. Clean . . . drum roll please . . .
Facilitating Child Labour