2.9.10

Everyone's Gone Nutty Over Nutella

I've been biting my tongue for days now as I've read post after sponsored post about Nutella.

It seems Nutella, in their continuing quest to show their "hazlenut" spread as wholesome, healthy, and family friendly, invited a bunch of parent bloggers in the UK to attend a Nutella breakfast and info session at legoland.

Nice touch, eh, the legoland? Once I loved lego, but lately it's been branded far too much with it's Star Wars and Iron Man and GI Joe series editions - all violent and all the only kind of lego you cna find anymore. To top that off now it's even associated itself with junk food.

Yes, you heard read me right, JUNK FOOD.

For that's what Nutella is. The reason they're trying so hard to sell themselves as wholesome is that they know moms. They know the way we set our minds on something. They know that we don't like to admit we might have made the wrong parenting choices. So they want us all to chose Nutella before the truth hits through the new EU labelling and it becomes obvious that it's junk.

This is what a Nutella label in North America looks like. Now, it does differ slightly country-to-country, but essentially it is all the same


1 TBSP, which is about what you would need to spread on toast, contains 100 calories. Of that 54 calories, so roughly half, are from fat. With one third of that being saturated fat. 49.5 calories, so roughly half again, are from sugar. Yes, that's right, Nutella is half fat/half sugar. In fact, 1 TBSP of Nutella actually contains 4 tsp of dissolved sugar.

But healthy nuts are fatty, right? We know that. It doesn't make them any less healthy. And that's true. However, Nutella contains very few nuts. And you can see from the label that it offers little in the way of nutrition. Good vitamin E content, but other than that, a tiny bit of calcium and iron and that's it.

For comparison, let's look at a chocolate bar. Everyone loves a Dairy Milk bar, right? Go ahead and click on that link and take a look at the nutrition facts for a Dairy Milk bar. I think we'd all say that we would not give our child a chocolate bar for breakfast, correct.

And yet, Nutella is no better. Nutella has 100 calories per serving; there are 105 in a Dairy Milk bar. Nutella has 6 grams of fat, the same as a Dairy Milk bar (though admittedly, the Dairy Milk bar does have more saturated fat). Nutella has 11 grams of sugar, just slightly less than the 11.3 in a Diary Milk bar. Nutella has 1 gram of protein, falling under the Dairy Milk bar with its 1.5 grams.

So when one blogger said
There is a big difference between eating a jar of Nutella and the 15g portion that is recommended, just as there is a big difference between having Nutella on toast for breakfast and having a bar of chocolate for breakfast.
She was actually mistaken. There is no difference between Nutela and a chocolate bar.

But I don't blame her, because she was fed a lot if misinformation along with her ooey-gooey chocolatey Nutella spread for breakfast.
In an attempt to prove that Nutella is a suitable breakfast food, bloggers met with a psychologist and a nutritionist to learn some "facts" about Nutella.

Following are a few of the things they have reported:

1. I am quite happy eating it directly out of the jar now I know it’s hazelnut spread and not chocolate spread and therefore not as bad for me as I had thought.

Well, actually, it's a fat spread mostly. It's first two ingredients are oil and sugar. In most countries, the oil is palm oil. A fat that has been recognised by the WHO as a danger for heart disease. It's also the most ecologically reprehensible oil as harvesting practices involve stripping rainforest and habitats of animals such as the amazing Orangutan as well as child and slave labour. So yes, it is as bad for you as you thought. And it's bad for the rest of the world too.

2. Of course there was the inevitable conversation about Nutella and the fact that many people see it as a treat because it's made of chocolate right? Well no actually, it's made from hazelnuts and is clearly labelled as a hazelnut spread yet because of the brown colour of Nutella we often consider it as a chocolate spread . . .
It was inevitable that this come up. Once, Nutella was handicapped by having to label under Italian law as a hazlenut spread. They would have preferred to label as a chocolate spread. However, they didn't contain enough chocolate. Once they gloamed onto the fact that they could use the hazlenuts to spin the health side of things, they embraced the term "hazlenut spread." However, I am sorry to tell you, as above, it is neither a hazlenut nor a chocolate spread. Check out this ingredient list. Nutella has 50 hazlenuts in a 13 oz jar. If you do the math, 13 oz is roughly equivalent to 368 grams which is roughly equivalent to 26 Tablespoons. Therefore, 1 TBSP of Nutella has less than two hazlenuts in it. And please note, though their commercials show nuts and milk being poured into a jar, there's more chocolate than milk. And that milk is powdered and processed - as are the hazlenuts. Seriously, you'd be better off giving your child a slice of toast, a glass of milk, a handful of hazlenuts and a small square of chocolate than giving them Nutella for breakfast.

3. She also told us that one portion of Nutella is 2 teaspoons (which seems a lot to me!) but has less fat and sugar than jam like for like.
First of all, there's no comparing like for like between the two. The sugars in jam are mostly natural fruit sugars. And there is no fat in jam. But, just for comparisons sake let's take the scenario of a slice of toast with margarine and jam on it. I don't know about you, but when we buy jam instead of make it, I always get the "twice the fruit" kind as it has less sugar and is tastier. It also (depending on brand) has no added colouring or preservatives. One of our favourites is a store brand here in Canada. A 1 TBSP serving contains 5 grams of sugar. A lot less than the 11 grams in a serving of Nutella. If you bought the worst jam on the shelves you would probably find it contains about 10-12 grams of sugar. So, even the worst jam is only equivalent to Nutella, not worse. And, lets remember, the sugars in the jam are mostly natural fruit sugars not processed and added white sugar. There is a difference.

As for margarine, we usually buy Becel or Smart Balance. At four and five grams of fat per serving, respectively, they come under the Nutella amount of 6 grams. They also have less saturated fat.

So my toast with margarine and jam has less sugar and fat than toast with Nutella. And it's no less healthier. I would get 10% of my RDI of Vitamin E from the Nutella or 10% of my RDI of Vitamin A and 4% of my RDI of Vitamin C from the margarine and jam. Personally, I never spread both margarine and jam on my toast. I pick one or the other.

4. For all that time I was eating Nutella I was convinced that it was chocolate spread. How wrong I was! The cocoa content for it is around 7% which is barely anything if you compare it to other spreads.
I don't question the amount of chocolate. What I do question, though, is why it matters? Chocolate, as in cocoa itself, is actually quite good for you. In fact the chocolate in the spread is probably better for you than the hazlenuts are. I mean a couple of hazlenuts don't offer a lot, but just a smidge of chocolate is valuable for it's anitoxidant properties and heart-healthy cholesterols. Whether Nutella is made of chocolate or hazlenuts or squirrell poop, it's still full of palm oil or other fat and sugar. And the reason why we frown on chocolate is not because of the cocoa but because of the sugar and fat that's added to make it edible for our markets. I don't know what other "chocolate" spreads are available in the UK, but if they are marketed as chocolate spreads they are better with the higher percentage of chocolate. As the less cocoa mass that is in there, the more fat and sugar that has been added.


Essentially, it comes down to choice. Nutella is not the devil's food but it's also not a healthy part of a balanced breakfast. In fact, in 2008, Nutella was found by the Advertising Standards Authority to be in breach of advertising standards regarding accuracy in advertising for making the claim that it was part of a balanced diet.

Do I still like my Ferrero Rocher chocolates at Christmas? Yes. Do I give my children Nutella for breakfast? No. Not even occasionally. Because it really isn't worth it. No matter how much chocolate is in it, they are smart enough to know it's sweet and chocolatey and therefore a treat. So if I let them have it for breakfast they will expect other treats for breakfast. I'm sure I could pull some Ferrero quotes out to prove to them that it's actually healthy, but quotes don't make facts. And facts don't lie (even in Legoland). Nutella is fat and sugar foremost. That makes it a treat - not a breakfast.

However, if you have been craving the sweet roasted creaminess of Nutella, you can always try this recipe - a homemade organic version that's lower in sugar and fat than the original. But remember, eating the whole jar is still unacceptable!

53 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. After reading a couple of the blogs, I had nearly convinced myself that nutella isn't as bad as it first appears. And, I live in the US and have that food label, yet I wasn't reading it.

    However, I will say that I have never had nutella for breakfast, nor fed it to my children as a morning meal. In our house, it is a treat to be eaten as an apple dip on rare fall occasions. It never occurred to me that some people might try to make it part of their "balanced" diets. yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing. If Ferrero would just admit it's a treat for rare occasions that would be fine. Instead their commercials sell it as breakfast food and now they've gotten a bunch of bloggers to say they eat it every morning.
    We don't even have our all-natural peanut butter every morning! And that has no added sugar or fat, just ground peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased that someone has written this. I have sat and silently fumed at all the sponsored nutella posts (and the chocolate weetabix ones before it). I can't believe that bloggers are being targeted to push processed junk food onto our children.

    I am fully expecting Dairylea to pop up next with a visit to Twycross zoo to brainwash people into thinking that Cheese Strings are the best thing in the world to feed your kids.

    Where on earth will this end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not seen any of the nutella or chocolate weetabix posts and wouldn't have read them if I had! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dara! What a wonderfuly informative post in the face of all the misinformation and propaganda that has been pushed on the mummy blogging community by Nutella. I have written a post asking people to come and have a read of this so they can make their decision based on fact and not propaganda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is so well done Dara, congrats on saying something I've quietly thought myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab post. Such a shame that the junk foods are choosing to target these types of blogs to push their products. I suspect many people have bought into the illusion of the "hazlenut spread".

    What is so wrong with plain old fruit, yoghurt and cereals for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comprehensive, well researched, informative and UNSPONSORED. Everything those other Nutella punting posts were not. We have a serious child obesity problem on our hands, not just in the West but creeping into the East too. Nutella's parent company and other (breakfast cereals, anyone?) who claim their products are part of a healthy eating regime should be taken to task. By bloggers, by the media and finally by the legislators.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative post - I hadn't read any of the promotional ones out there, but I had never assumed that Nutella was especially healthy. I will occasionally let my kids have it (or something similar) on toast or pancakes as a breakfast treat (I don't generally get too hung up about treats, as long as they're occasional). But would never let them have it on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe people spread a whole tablespoon of the stuff on a slice of bread. I've always used Nutella like marmite, and I'd be surprised if I spread a teaspoon, let alone a tablespoon of the stuff. Each to their own though.

    Comparing calories to a chocolate bar is only telling part of the story though- a slice of wholemeal bread from our local supermarket has 120 calories in. A slice of our local supermarket bread also has 1.5g of fat and over 2g of sugar.

    So if you make a round of sandwiches with two slices of bread, you're already looking at 240 calories, 3g of fat and 4g of sugar. I look forward to your expose on bread :)

    Sugar is bad for your teeth, fructose or sucrose, which is why its always worth not feeding fruit juice to your kids.

    Like anything, sense and moderation are they key to enjoying something like Nutella. Better to have a little of something nice that a lot of something that isn't.

    All just IMHO of course. I remember having an interesting discussion with a lecturer of mine at university over food labeling once. One of the things I asked was about artificial flavourings. A flavour is given by a particular chemical compound, if a naturally occurring compound is created exactly in a lab, does it matter? The composition is the same.

    It's a minefield.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post, thank you. I have big issues with Nutella's advertising and the idea it's a healthy breakfast food - though I love my toast and Nutella for supper. My daughter doesn't like the stuff, so I don't have to worry too much - the youngest is a long way off trying!

    I had actually just looked at the ingredients last night when making my toast and noticed that the top two ingredients were oil and sugar.

    Thanks for providing this post to balance out the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very informative post - I've been very surprised by the enthusiastic response to Nutella in recent posts, I've never thought it was a good idea to feed it to my children and never have. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been quite shocked at some of the claims I have read about incorporating Nutella into a healthy breakfast - it's a non-issue in my home since my son is nut allergic but still... it sure shows how easy is it to become ill-informed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heartfelt thanks from me, too! I was made to feel like a sour-faced muesli-eating weirdo by stating I didn't want my kids to eat it! (For the record, it was v light-hearted banter, my kids love muesli, and I'm even more of a weirdo that mixes it herself...!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting. Great to read the other side of things. I must say I was taken in a little to see that it was healthier than I first assumed but I do not eat it and would never buy it so it was not a problem for me really. My dh and little boy both like it but I figure if they have it occasiaonlly at Nans or on camp then it is not a problem - moderation and all that.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do kind of agree with you but.....

    I watched a series of programmes by Professor Janet Regan a few years back and she started in the "nursery", looking at issues relating to babies and children. She researched breakfast cereals as part of that programme.

    The conclusion she came to, based on her investigation of all the body of work around breakfasts and children's performance etc, was that the most important thing was that your child had A breakfast, any breakfast. In other words, if you gave them a very sugary breakfast or a very chocolatey breakfast, it was still better than nothing.

    My children do get nutella/chocolate spread occasionally for breakfast. It is made clear to them that it IS a treat and it is not to be expected every day - and it does only happen on high days and holidays. Since they have been born (they are 5 and 4) I have bought 2 small jars of the stuff - and most of one jar was used to make sandwiches for a party, which most of the kids never bothered eating in favour of sausages and carrot sticks! It does get spread sparingly - and if we can, we try to encourage them to have something else.

    If that makes me a bad mother, then so be it. I try to teach my kids moderation - the occasional treat is no bad thing but with stress on the occasional.

    I do think the way that Nutella has marketed this is all wrong tho. People *know* it's not the best choice nutritionally so to try to prove otherwise is disingenuous. I did nutrition at Uni so I tend to look at any such claims fairly cynically but I guess it is easy to be "sold" them in that sort of atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually went to the Nutella breakfast and I'm quoted in the above post by the looks of it and to be honest I've always eaten Nutella and don't have a problem with it after reading what you've written nor have I been "brainwashed" into thinking it's the way forward for breakfast by the company who makes it. Not once were we told it should be eaten every day for breakfast during the briefing, we were instead told it should be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced diet, like any other retailer would tell you about any other product.

    My daughter actually went off to school with Nutella sandwiches for lunch today. Will she be having Nutella tomorrow? No, because although it is a part of her repetoire of foods she doesnt actually refuse to eat (of which there are many), there are plenty of other things she eats as well and like anyone I would imagine that no one gives their kids the same food day in day out.

    To me Nutella is something that tastes nice, I often have a cheeky spoonful out of the jar when no one is looking, I use it in cooking and my daughter has the odd sandwich made with it (which I find disgusting actually, not sure why). Yes it shouldn't be eaten every single day, like anything else and yes it should be enjoyed in moderation, again like anything else but as it states in this post it isn't the devil's food either!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why should the "admit it's a treat for special occasions"? Have we gotten to the point where we are so devoid of personal responsibility and common sense that products need to include warnings about moderation? Just about everything can have a place in a balanced diet - as long as it is in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One other thing - how is it the same as a chocolate bar - a chocolate bar (precisely the dairy milk you have mentioned) has over twice the calories, twice the fat, three times the amount of saturated fat, twice the sugar, and way more cholesterol and way more sodium. How exactly is that the same?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome blog Dara. I have seen the commercials claiming the healthy nature of Nutella, and decided to take a look at the label in the store. Yikes! My thoughts were exactly as you posted, basically: who is letting them get away with calling this crap healthy? Then Grace tried a sample at Costco (I was not with her), when they were promoting it at their demo. She loved it, and was told it was healthy for her. The people hosting the demo even gave her sample packs to bring home! Talk about pushing the sale! FYI, the sample packs were mysteriously lost once I discovered them. ;) Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - I live in a total cave! I had no idea that people use Nutella for anything other than a dessert-y snack. Breakfast? Honestly? It's like chocolatey crack! I feel bad enough when my kids eat jam (homemade jam is higher in sugar than storebought spreads, but I'm a crazy DIY-er so I subject my family to it anyway). I do enjoy the stuff (actually, the PC dark version, which is perhaps a little more virtuous, but only a little), but as a Christmassy treat. Bonnie would be wired for a week if I gave it to her as a breakfast food.

    That said, I feel exactly the same way about sweetened peanut butter - Kraft, Jif and the like - which we call "peanut butter icing" at our house. You just can't give that stuff to your kids as a meal. Treat, yes (and I am very pro-treat), but not breakfast or lunch!

    (For the record, this kind of thing is why yours is one of the very, very few parenting blogs I read!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Andraea: Thanks! I'm honoured, actually. Yeah, I agree, nutella as an occasional treat, good. Nutella as breakfast food: no. My kids haven't have had, but they have had just one on Nanny's Ferrero Rocher chocolates at Christmas. I can only imagine giving them the filling from those chocolates for breakfast. We're the same about Peanut Butter too. Darrell brought home some generic store brand sweetened crap a couple weeks ago when our grocery funds were low and I *almost* pitched it. Instead, he's eating it all.
    The sad thing is, I once found a recipe for peanut butter icing and it involved melting Kraft peanut butter and then adding a 1/4 cup of milk and tiny bit of icing sugar (I think it was 3 TBSP). So it really is icing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Angela,
    Glad you've managed to confiscate it from Grace. I can't believe they are able to get away with calling it healthy. The new EU rules which should come into effect in 2012 will require upfront labelling, but also limit their advertising, which is why there's such a push on now to advertise it and get it into homes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Anonymous. Have we gotten to the point where advertisers are allowed to make blanket claimes about unhealthy foods being healthy and then be defended?
    And if you look at the breakdown a "serving" of Nutella (1 TBSP or approx 15g) is exactly the same as a "serving" of Dairy Milk (Dairy Milk thins, or small size or the buttons at approx 18g)- the smaller size bars at 18 grams would be all *I* would ever give a child - or half of a regular bar. Regardless, we don't buy chocolate bars anymore, but when we did, it was never a full bar per child.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @notsosinglemum, I hope you don't mind me quoting you. It wasn't done to point you out, just to show what information you had been fed and the conclusions you had come to because of the Nutella info session.
    I have to disagree, though, about it being part of a healthy balanced diet. Their ads specifically show mothers giving it for breakfast and claiming it is a good choice to start their day.
    I'm not sure what the semantics of "healthy balanced diet" is for you, but to me that means the things we eat regularly to get our nutrition and energy: oatmeal, fruits, even some processed cereals for breakfast. Nutella, is not a part of that. Nutella is a treat, for special occasions, or, if you're like my family and avoiding processed foods and trying to eat ethically it's not really a part of your diet at all (except for those aforementioned Ferrero Rocher chcolates at Christmas which I've never actually gotten myself, but my mother has been known to share one or two).

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Kateb,
    On the day after their birthday, my children get leftover birthday cake for breakfast. Sometimes that cake is chocolate.
    So like you, on very special occasions I allow my children a treat at breakfast time. I make sure they have a full glass of milk and some high fibre fruit or cereal with it to help absorb the sugar.
    I didn't mean to imply that mothers who give their children nutella for breakfast are bad mothers. I just want to make sure that they understand that when they do so, it is JUNK.
    I have to disagree about the statement that any breakfast is better than none. In essence, yes it's true. A child with something in their stomach is in a better state than a child with nothing in their stomach. But that doesn't excuse giving children sugar-laden breakfasts and sending them off to school. The Nutella reps seemed to make it very clear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To then go on and advice moms to give their child Nutella for that most important meal is double-talk and just unethical.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Michelle,
    Exactly. A rare treat if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @JulieB,
    My son's favourite processed cereal is raisin bran. And I too make my own muesli and granola and occasionally make them this awesome slowcooker whole grain hot cereal (which I really should do more).
    I don't think that's weird. I think it's sensible. If the day has come when parents feel ostracised for making healthy choices than it really is time for me to find that cabin in the woods to move to.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @MrsW, exactly. We too have a nut allergic son, though he seems to be outgrowing it and his allergy was never of a anaphalactic nature.
    I think the last time I ever bought Nutella was in university, after a breakup. Just the same as I would buy Hagen Daz or a similar treat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Alex,
    Bread is often quite nasty. I definitely agree. We tend to make our own. The balance of the fibre from the whole grains makes up for the sugar in my opinion. However, white bread is pretty much like a doughnut - just flour and sugar and fat.
    As for fructose vs. sucrose, it is indeed true. We all do need some sugar for energy, though, and I'm okay with that sugar coming from fruits. I'm not one of those that believe fruit juice is good for children, though. We always mix it half with water to lessen the sugar. Most people are suprised to discover that a glass of juice and a glass of soda have pretty much the same amount of sugar.
    We do try to avoid refined sugars of any kind. I do the majority of my baking with unrefined sugars and syrups. I think sugar is part of a healthy diet as long as it's part of it's original food source.
    If diet was all about weight gain or loss, then I suppose I would care what the GI index of certain foods are, but for me what we eat is about feeding our bodies and minds and keeping ourselves healthy - weight is one part of being healthy, but I'd still rather see a fat child eating too much apples and broccoli than an underwieght child eating doughnuts and processed cereals.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Jude,
    Glad you haven't bought into the claims. That's all I wanted to point out in this post. If a parent wants to feed his/her children Nutella, and that's the choice made, fine. But don't do so thinking it's healthy or part of a "balanced diet."
    Like I said, previously, treats are fine as long as we know they're treats. If we look at treats as breakfast, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @NotSupermom, glad to hear from you. After reading those posts I was beginning to think I was the only one not giving my kids Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Tasha: that was exactly my intent - to bring balance to the Nutella discussion. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @MissyM: Yes, yes and yes. Did you read my column on food advertising to children? Remind me to send you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Snaffles Mummy: I don't know. That's what we eat around here. Usually breakfast is oatmeal with berries and yogurt. We buy quick oats and prepare them in the microwave - just as quick as pouring up a bowl of chocolate weetabix.

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Vix: Thanks. I just couldn't stay quiet for fear of hurting someone's feelings when it's something I feel so strongly about.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Heather - thanks for the referrals! Glad it's striking a chord.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Blue Sky: I had been avoiding them myself until one popped up in my reader the other day and I read it with the same fascination that one shows when passing a car crash. I felt I had to respond. Some battles are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @VeryBored:
    Cheese strings. Ah, the bane of my existence. That and cheese whiz. Made the mistake of letting the boy attend the breakfast program at school and now he thinks cheese strings and cheese whiz are part of a healthy breakfast. Meanwhile, they're still better than Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love you and want to kiss you!

    maybe you saw my ranting about nutella on twitter? junk food indeed. like sweets it's not for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yeah I saw the ads here in the USA and was scratching my head because its like they say 'full of milk and nuts and a teaspoon of cocoa powder and part of a healthy kids breakfast' and I wanted to shout 'yeah what about the ton of sugar?'
    I honestly don't understand how this is allowed to be marketed as a nutritional food or something kids should eat for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think it would be fine if the message had been "the key to getting children to eat healthily is moderation, and nutella is a fun treat" or something along those lines. And when pushed, that's what the dietician involved said (I challenged nutella to debate in the comments section of one blog, and the dietician replied). But only when pushed. Otherwise, the reports of the day (I read 3, so I can't speak for all of them) gave the messages "less sugar than jam!" "not really chocolate at all!" "can be a healthy option for breakfast!"

    Of course the nutella people won't be trying to get across a message of "just a little, now and then, as a treat, is fine". They are trying to SELL the stuff.

    Thank you for this post. I think it's very problematic when bloggers get involved in this kind of marketing venture - very compromising. I mean, if you'd been invited to Legoland, and then you'd written a careful critical analysis of nutella, you would be unlikely to be invited to any other such events, and there is big kudos within the blogosphere attached to these occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Mind you, a lot of cereals have a huge amount of sugar in them - even the 'healthy' ones. It's so hard to get kids to eat healthily - the last thing we need is marketing campaigns to make it harder.

    ReplyDelete
  44. By the way, what's wrong with cheese strings? Have I missed something?

    ReplyDelete
  45. @Iota, exactly. Nutella is not "the devil's food" nut they're using devilish strategies to market it.
    And I agree about the cereals. I'll never forget the day I bought multigrain cheerios thinking they'd be even healthier than regular cheerios, only to discover they have almost twice the sugar. We avoid most processed cereals here. When we do buy for conveinance's sake we get an "adult" cereal. My kids love a granola mix cereal from Costco called Daybreak (which is a little higher in sugar than I'd like, but chock full of fibre and protein) as well as raisin bran and Fibre One.
    Re the cheesestrings. They look like regular hard cheese but are actually processed cheese like cheese whiz or cheese slices and they have about 1/3 of a child's quota of salt in one cheese string. Admittedly, they have less fat than hard cheese, but because of the fun factor kids tend to eat more of them than they would hard cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Calling Nutella a healthy breakfast because it's made with nuts is like calling vodka a healthy supper because it's made with potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you Drea. That was exactly the anology I was looking for! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  48. @tatooed mummy, sadly I have not had much time for twitter lately. But if I had I'm sure I would have agreed. Let me brush my teeth before you kiss me tho, okay hun?
    @Kateb that's why Nutella's trying so hard now. It is much more popular in Europe than it is in North America - like the European version of peanut butter. When the new EU laws come into effect in 2012 they won't be able to advertise it that way anymore as far as I understand. Also they will have to label it on the front with exactly the amount of fat and sugar that's in it. We need similar laws here.

    ReplyDelete
  49. No prob, Dara! It came to me while I was chopping onions, and I had to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. enlightening post. I haven't seen nutella crazed aussie bloggers yet but I am sure it is not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  51. We've occasionally made our own bread but its not very environmentally friendly- we get no economies of scale in the production of it and so the electricity costs and ingredient costs (both in terms of food miles and packaging) are high. Best thing to do is just make sure you avoid bread with palm oil in it imho.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I don't allow any cereals at home because they are so processed. I do allow treats and my daughter has half a nutella sandwich once a week as a treat. Like others have said, it's all about moderation. But to deprive a child of any treats has the opposite effect imho.
    Well done for bringing this to light :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. *sigh* where was my mention ;0) I went along to the event and have to say, yes of course it isnt THE healthiest thing to give ones children, but for me a little in moderation and not all the time for my children is fine by me, I am their parent and I shall take responsibilty. I on the other hand cant get enough of the stuff ;0) x

    ReplyDelete

Have something to add? Let us know: